Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Abstinence Teacher


I just finished reading this book last week. It was good, but I wasn't as riveted by it as I thought I would be, considering the subject matter. The basic storyline has to do with a high school sex ed teacher who has been told by the administration that she has to teach abstinence instead of how to avoid pregnancy and disease the good old fashioned way, CONDOMS! It deals with America's religious right, and how it's taken too far. He's a really great writer, I'm looking forward to reading some of his earlier work. I've already read Little Children, which I absolutely loved and couldn't put down. I've just gotten a library card to our spanking new community library, so I'll pick up more of his work. He also wrote Election, that funny movie with Reese Witherspoon as the keener nerd who was desperate to become Student Council President. I really enjoyed that movie, so it'll be interesting to see what the book is like.

No comments: