Monday, December 29, 2008

Jane Austen rocks and other chick flicks...


I've been sick this Christmas, one bad cold to the next. It sucks, except for the fact that it allows me to watch all of the movies that W normally vetoes when we get DVD's together, not to mention all the movies that are on at this time of the year in general.
Here is just a sampling of what I've watched this past week...
-Pride & Prejudice (the new one w/ Keira Knightley) I've seen the A&E version too with Colin Firth. HELLO Mr. Darcy!
-Sense and Sensibility (seen and loved it before!)
-The Jane Austen Book Club (seeing a theme here?)
-Love Actually (I ACTUALLY watch this one every Christmas now!)
-P.S. (Not P.S. I Love You... this one has Laura Linney (love her!) and Topher Grace (love him!)
-The Devil Wears Prada. Didn't think I'd like this one as much as I did. Meryl Streep can do no wrong in my eyes.
-Mama Mia. See above. Pierce Brosnan can't sing and is adorable.
-The Sisterhood of the Travelling pants 2. I actually saw this on the plane coming home from Toronto. My Dad tried telling me which movie was being shown by telling me it was called THE PANTSUITS. Um, The pantsuits dad? Are you sure it's not The Travelling Pants? No, he was quite insistent that it was PANTSUIT. So now it will be forever known as "The Brotherhood of the Wandering Pantsuit."
-Thank you for not Smoking. Not a chick flick, but good nonetheless!
-The Hours. Ah, Meryl does it again.
- Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail. These were on TV and I got sucked in even though I've seen both before.
-Bridgit Jones Diary. Ditto to the above.
I'm sure there's more, but it's all a bit of a blur. For the record, I hate the term chick flick. I also hate the term Chick Lit. Why do we have to cutsie up everything that is women centric? We need a new term for it... Idea's?

1 comment:

Michele said...

Hi Andrea! I'm sorry you've been sick. I have a cold, too, and it does suck to be sick during the holidays. But it is a great excuse to lay on the couch and watch movies! :-)

I developed a huge crush on the Mr. Darcy in the Keira Pride & Prejudice. Then I saw him as Agent Tom in Spooks...he's sexy! (And so is Colin Firth, of course.)

I watch Love Actually every Christmas, too! Adorable movie!

I hate that term "chick flick," too, and "chick lit." I don't know...maybe we should just call it art without explosions? :-)